Florida Venture Blog by Dan Rua dan

No-BS Venture Thoughts for No-BS Entrepreneurs.

A running perspective on Florida's growing tech and venture community, with an occasional detour to the Southeast/national scene, venture capital FAQs and maybe a gadget or two....

By Dan Rua, Managing Partner of Inflexion Partners -- "Florida's Venture Fund".

Twisten: Listen to Twitter

twistenDid you know you can listen to Twitter?  Yes, listen -- or better yet, twisten.  Thanks to yet another innovation from the script kiddies over at free music monster Grooveshark, you now can.  The idea reminds me of Coke's old commercial "teach the world to sing in perfect harmony," with Twitter as the grand stage.

All the songs good enough to tweet
Twisten.fm allows you to easily share songs and constantly scans the twitter stream, looking for songs people have shared via tinysong or other tweet tools -- those song-sharing tweets are counted as "twistens".  Those twistens are then listed at twisten.fm, organized as tweets by yourself, friends or everyone.  As usual for anything Grooveshark, the site has a nice, clean design.

listen to twitter
Play on-the-fly
However, twisten.fm isn't just a list of songs you should go find.  You can actually click a PLAY arrow on every twisten to listen on-the-fly.  You can also click the tinysong link, to play it via listen.grooveshark.com.  That's what I do when I find something I like, because I can then click "Autoplay" to get an ongoing stream of similar music.

twisten.fm
Additions I'd like
The service has barely even launched, but I've already got requests that I either missed or I'd like to see added.  First, I'd like to see some popular lists, built from twisten votes.  Similarly, I think a leaderboard of twisteners could encourage sharing and explode Grooveshark's growth.  I'd also like Autoplay built-in to twisten.fm so I could listen to a continuous stream of shared songs, maybe prioritized by twisten votes.

Even without these additions, twisten.fm is a compelling, new service creating value from the intersection of Twitter and Grooveshark.  Twisten should accelerate Grooveshark's already impressive growth, but could be a powerful service in it's own right: twitter, for music.  Great work, G-crew!

Oh, and when you share your first twisten, don't forget to thank @danrua for the heads-up ;-)

Oh, oh...and here's that Coke commercial, just in case I lost you from the start...

Labels: , , , ,

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend