Florida Venture Blog by Dan Rua dan

No-BS Venture Thoughts for No-BS Entrepreneurs.

A running perspective on Florida's growing tech and venture community, with an occasional detour to the Southeast/national scene, venture capital FAQs and maybe a gadget or two....

By Dan Rua, Managing Partner of Inflexion Partners -- "Florida's Venture Fund".

Contest: Be the VC

I ran a small contest over a couple days last week via PayPerPost. Basically, I shared that there are more interesting ideas on the net than any one guy can keep track of. I challenged Posties to "Be the VC" and blog about the most interesting or promising online companies they've encountered recently. Think TechCrunch, but much smaller, diversified, and distributed.

I promised to PayPal $20 to my favorite post, but I left the criteria pretty open. I was roughly looking for 1) most interesting new finds and 2) general quality of the post/blog. The incentive and budget on this opp was modest so I appreciate all of the participating Posties, but I'd like to recognize 4 of my favorites here, including the winner.

Hmmm at kitty.nu uncovered free411.com (free directory assistance) and loowa.com (MySpace/Virb/Vox) . Both were interesting and the blog had a nice clean look.

Would you like to be a Venture Capitalist (for a day, that is)? at HomeOfficeWomen.com uncovered Fliptrack (video/audio editing) and provided some nice examples in the post and comments.

Be the VC at The-Upperroom.com shared multiple ideas for leveraging SecondLife. Although raw ideas weren't exactly what I was looking for, I wanted to recognize the length and depth of Kevin's post, integrating images and video. I like the SecondLife banking possibilities, but Kevin's comment about low daily concurrent users (only 19K-36K?) is a concern.

It was a squeaker, but my favorite post was Who Deserves Venture Capital? at HomeBizBlogger.com by Eve Lester. Although I didn't really understand what FlyLady.com was all about, I was intrigued by Eve's first tip: Tubetorial.com. I've spoken to a few entrepreneurs who are leveraging video tutorial sites for vertical opportunities (recruiting, medical etc.), but there is room for one or two catch-all sites as well. I've embedded an example of what you might find at Tubetorial -- they need some easy embed tools and a broader set of tutorial topics. This one's called "Be the Master of Your Own Domain"

Flash video — 5:51 run time





Video isn't as good as text for snippets of info, but can be great for detailed how-to. I also thought Eve's blog design had a good balance of aesthetics and information -- most designs are heavy on one of those two areas.

Thanks everyone for playing via PayPerPost and congrats Eve, I've got $20 waiting for your PayPal address -- don't spend it all in one place ;-)

Labels: , , , , , ,

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

Comments (3)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome!! thanks Dan!!

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats to Eve! I read Eve's blog, and think it's nicely done as well.

8:27 AM  
Blogger JasonJ said...

Hi Dan, I like your blog and your venture capital work (I *heart* PayPerPost). I think you'd like my blog:
Chief Prognosticator

It's my sounding ground for new trends and products I see in the future.

It's based on my original Chief Prognosticator blog which I still maintain (which has many more posts..)

-Jason

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment


<< Home