Florida Venture Blog by Dan Rua dan

No-BS Venture Thoughts for No-BS Entrepreneurs.

A running perspective on Florida's growing tech and venture community, with an occasional detour to the Southeast/national scene, venture capital FAQs and maybe a gadget or two....

By Dan Rua, Managing Partner of Inflexion Partners -- "Florida's Venture Fund".

FVCC Day 1: VC Adventures on Land & Sea

The first day of the Florida Venture Capital Conference typically involves investor activities, and this year was no exception. It started with a 4-person team scramble golf tourney at the Renaissance Vinoy Resort Course and ended with an investor cocktail cruise.

You couldn't have asked for a better day for golf -- not a cloud in the sky and moderate temps throughout the tourney. Although we didn't score the best, I lucked out with a great team of Louie Laubscher, Kathy Strother and Mark Patten. Everyone did their part, but I have to toss a golden Kangarua Mark's way -- the guy won longest drive AND closest to the pin. How's that for distance and accuracy? However, our team didn't place in the money, so you can guess how much support Mark got from the rest of us. Regardless, it was good seeing everyone and an enjoyable day on the course.

The evening brought an investor-only night cruise. I note "investor-only" because more than one entrepreneur highlighted that point when I asked what they were doing tonight. I would provide a "behind the curtain" blow-by-blow of what transpired on the super-secret cruise, but, alas, I wasn't on it. After being told the yacht cocktails started at 7pm and it would depart the dock at 9pm, I got some lobby laptop work done until 8pm. Within seconds of putting my laptop away for a leisurely stroll to the yacht, I saw it start a slow float away. I literally missed my boat.

I'm sure it was a great evening, capping off a great first day of the 2008 Florida Venture Capital Conference. At least I hope it was...I understand some of the cigars being passed around were $1,600 per box!?!?

Labels: , , , , , ,

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

Comments (1)

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Dan. Just wanted to give a shout and say thanks for the golden Kangarua. Had a great time on the course with you guys. Definitely made the day a fun one, even though the putts weren't falling.

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment


<< Home