Florida Venture Blog by Dan Rua dan

No-BS Venture Thoughts for No-BS Entrepreneurs.

A running perspective on Florida's growing tech and venture community, with an occasional detour to the Southeast/national scene, venture capital FAQs and maybe a gadget or two....

By Dan Rua, Managing Partner of Inflexion Partners -- "Florida's Venture Fund".

Florida Statewide Business Plan Competition

Last week I had the pleasure of judging the Sunshine State Venture Challenge -- Florida's only statewide business plan competition. There were two tracks of presenters: Limited Investment and Investment Intensive (my track). Like last year, the event was well-run and a value to participants and judges alike. Among many I enjoyed meeting, it was great seeing a couple fellow bloggers as judges: Robert Hacker of Sophisticated Finance and Chuck Papageorgiou of The Operator's Blog.

Winners for the two tracks were ToneRite (auto-tuning/aging for string instruments) for Limited Investment and ReDesigningWomen (community/support site for divorced women) for Investment Intensive. For my track, it was a tough decision, but RDW's entrepreneur combined a strong marketing background with a focused, niche strategy to serve a valuable set of customers.

I was lucky enough to recruit my favorite presenter last year to join one of my portfolio companies. As such, I was on the lookout for my favorite presenter this year. Even though she didn't win the bizplan competition, I wanted to offer a golden Kangarua for "Best Presenter" to Erica Courtney of Biodiversity & Co. Congrats Erica, the competition winners and all participating finalists. I look forward to watching your businesses grow across the state and nationwide...

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

Comments (1)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your encouraging words for Erica are much appreciated as she will be competing hopefully in a national business plan competition representing FIU early next year.

My thoughts on the Sunshine State competition are here http://sophisticatedfinance.typepad.com/sophisticated_finance/2007/11/i-have-just-ret.html

6:38 AM  

Post a Comment


<< Home